Senior Software Engineer
Upwave: The Analytics Platform for Brand Advertising.
Upwave is the leading analytics software platform giving brands, agencies, and media partners a unified, cross-media solution to measure brand advertising. Providing a deterministic, real-time view of brand advertising investment, Upwave’s automated platform allows advertisers to optimize TV, CTV, digital, social and cross-channel campaigns towards audience accuracy and reach, brand lift, and person’s lifted– with campaign-level and portfolio views.
Our customers are Fortune 500 companies across multiple verticals - including CPG, food & beverage, consumer technology & telecom, and financial services - as well as the world’s largest advertising agencies and media platforms and publishers.
We are unapologetically supportive of brand advertising, and work hard every day to prove its value; we know if companies can measure the value of those dollars, they’ll spend more. Brand advertising pays for not only the movies we watch and music we hear, but the journalism we read and the information we access. In short, brand advertising supports the free flow of information through society. So, we’re proud to be the first company dedicated to using data science to show enterprises the true effectiveness of their brand spend.
We are backed by leading venture investors (Y Combinator, Uncork Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Initialized Capital, PivotNorth, Ridge Ventures, Industry Ventures, Conductive Ventures,) and leading MarTech founders & CEOs.
We’re a humble but ambitious team that takes its work seriously but never ourselves. Come join us.
What you will do:
Your role will be focussed 80% on traditional engineering responsibilities and 20% on partner relationships.
- Write code for microservices, data pipelines, and front-end dashboards using modern technologies like React and JVM-based languages.
- Oversee and maintain the partner pipeline infrastructure, including custom integrations and external-facing dashboards.
- Collaborate closely with Product team to ensure seamless integration of software engineering and product development efforts.
- Perform DevOps duties, including managing deployments and monitoring infrastructure.
- Navigate partner relationships by conducting technical scope outs and formalizing agreements.
- Provide technical customer support to address escalated issues from the support team.
- You have 8+ years of full stack development experience with a healthy combination of both front and backend work.
- You have experience in adtech with marketing technology, advertising technology, or market research companies.
- You are proficient in a JVM-based language (particularly Java, Kotlin, or Groovy) and a Spring-based web framework (particularly Spring Boot or Groovy-on-Grails).
- You have a strong understand of cloud-native applications (particularly on AWS), particularly using Kubernetes and Terraform.
- You have the ability to lead technical discussions with potential customers and partners.
- You believe in rigorous software engineering methodologies, emphasizing maintainability, testing and code reviews.
- You are interested in solving real-world business problems and collaborating with Product to create valuable solutions.
- You demonstrate leadership qualities with the ability to mentor junior team members.
- You are humble, curious with a proactive attitude, owning responsibility for actions and work.
- You have experience working at a start-up or fast growing company.
Why You’ll Like Working Here:
- Upwave is an engineering-first company. We believe high velocity comes from high efficiency, not high effort. And we believe that the development we do must be sustainable for the entire team. We set priorities rather than deadlines, we don’t crunch, we work reasonable hours, and engineers and managers actually take vacations.
- Upwavers treat each other well. We screen for people who are unusually caring, and who want to collaborate and know how to do it effectively and compassionately.
- Upwave is actually disrupting (in the Clayton Christensen sense) a major industry by offering functionality that our users can’t find anywhere else, at a technology-enabled price point that our services-oriented competitors structurally can’t match. The media industry is going through major tectonic shifts, and at Upwave you’ll both observe and influence the media industry’s reinvention.
- You’ll work with modern technologies (e.g. React, Kubernetes, AWS) to solve cutting edge problems. Upwave is not just another software-as-a-service tool; we’re an intuitive user-interface on top of a deep and complex business workflow that requires:
- collecting hundreds of billions of advertising events,
- using them intelligently to collect consumer sentiment data,
- applying recently published (and in some cases, internally invented) causal inference and machine learning techniques to derive statistically valid conclusions,
- presenting those conclusions to end users in a way that empowers them to make genuinely better business decisions.
- We’re “post product market fit”, meaning that we’re far enough along in our journey to know that we’re building something real users find valuable enough to pay (handsomely) for. But we’re playing in a huge market, and we’re early enough along that each individual engineer and engineering leader can still have a pivotal impact on our product and on the overall trajectory and success of our business.
- We’re a remote-first team, with members spanning half the globe (but only one half, to ensure everyone can talk live when we need to). You’ll work with extremely talented engineers from different states, countries, and cultures, and you’ll get to learn about their diverse backgrounds and fascinating day-to-day experiences and life stories.
The annual base salary range for this role is $150,000 to $175,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for the new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
Upwave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.